<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Of Unknown Poets and Life Fundaes 

Recently, I finished re-reading a Marathi book : Tu Bhramat Ahasi Waya (loosely translated -- You're wandering unnecessarily, a line from Dnyaneshwari if I'm not wrong), by Vasant Kale (known as Va. Pu. Kale or just Vapu). He was one of the distinguishing writers in Marathi, appreciated both by masses and classes. This book is like the pinnacle of his writing, synthesizing thoughts from Kabir to Dnyaneshwar seamlessly. If there is one complaint I have against this book, it's that some of the quotations are without any source. For instance, here is an excerpt of a hindi poem that one of the characters in the book recites:
jeevan me madhu ka pyala tha
tumne tanman de dala tha
wah tut gaya to tut gaya
madiralay ka aangan dekho
kitne pyale hil jate hain
gir mitti-me mil jate hain
par bolo tute pyalon par
kab madiralay pachtata hain?

mridu mitti ke hain bane hue
madhughat futa hi karte hain
phri bhi madiralay ke andar
madhughat hain, madhu-pyale hain
jo madkta ke mare hain
woh madhu luta hi karte hain

jiski mamta ghat-pyalon par
woh kaccha peene wala hai
joh sacche madhu se jala hua
kab rota hai chillata hai?
Does anyone know who is the poet? For some time I believed that it's Hariwanshrai Bachchan, but then I searched in few of his anthologies, and couldn't find this. Anyways, if anyone knows source of these excerpts, I'll be indebted if you could share that with me...

Comments:
This poem is from Harivansh Rai Bacchan.Let me see if i can send you a link for the same
 
Thanks Manish,

Yes, from Sulekha Blogs where I reposted this one, I got the info too. And link too. So I wasn't wrong :).

-asuph
 
hey
tujhya jawal tu bhramat ahasi vaya e book form madhe aahe kaa?
 
hey anon..

no. unfortunately not..

-asuph
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?